Update 2019-08-14 DAAD published a new website for the IFI programme: www.daad.de/ifi
I was invited to join the scientific advisory board for the new IFI programme of the German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst – DAAD). The IFI programme (German: “Internationale Forschungsaufenthalte für Informatiker_Innen”) is the successor of the “FIT Weltweit” programme that provides PhD students and Postdoctoral researchers with highly attractive scholarships. These scholarships provide generous funding for up to two years at some of the best research institutes in the world. Plus, postdoctoral researchers may receive additional six-months funding to “re-integrate” in Germany after their stay abroad.
The previous FIT Weltweit programme supported visits “only” at the International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), Berkeley, USA and the National Institute of Informatics (NII), Tokyo, Japan (where I did my postdoctoral research and where I am currently a visiting professor).
The new IFI programme supports research visits additionally in Canada, Korea, and Israel. The complete list of host institutes is as follows:
- International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), Berkeley, USA
- Mila – Quebec Artificial Intelligence Institute – Montreal, Kanada
- National Institute of Informatics (NII), Tokyo, Japan
- Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Pohang, Republik Korea
- Seoul National University (SNU) Graduate School of Data Science, Seoul, Republik Korea
- Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- Vector Institute, Toronto, Kanada
The programme is only available to German students and researchers, ideally with a research focus on machine learning / artificial intelligence. For anyone matching that description, I can highly recommend applying for the scholarship. When I was at the NII myself, I had some of the most productive and fun time in my life.
More details for PhD Students
More details for Postdoctoral Researchers