Our group — the Intelligent Systems Group at the University of Siegen in Germany — recently acquired a €1.25m research grant. We hired 1 Ph.D. student already, are in the process of hiring a second Ph.D. student and now we seek to hire 1 postdoctoral researcher – or possibly a third Ph.D. student – in Automated Machine Learning (AutoML), Neural Architecture Search (NAS), and/or Algorithm Selection in Recommender Systems (RecSys). The contract will be issued for 3 years. In case of successful work, the contract could be extended by at least 1 more year (the funding is already secured).
For the postdoctoral position, We seek a Person that has/possesses:
- A Ph.D. in computer science or a related discipline
- A strong will to pursue an academic career and either become a professor or a permanent research fellow (in German: “Akademischer Rat”)
- Excellent publication track record with at least 1 first-author publication at a major machine learning conference (e.g. NeurIPS, ICML, ECML/PKDD, IJCAI…), recommender systems conference (e.g. ACM RecSys), or information retrieval conference (e.g. SIGIR), or in a corresponding journal (A/A*-ranked).
- Excellent English language skills
- Evidence of successful supervision of Bachelor’s or Master’s students.
- Evidence of self-motivated and independent work. We would like to see that you did something beyond the things that your Ph.D. supervisor told you to do.
- Teaching experience
- Acquired funding
- German language skills
An excellent environment to support your career and personal advancement. We will support you with funding, time, advice, and resources to achieve your goals. In particular, you will enjoy
- A large degree of freedom when it comes to your
- research: As long as your research relates to automated machine learning, neural architecture search and/or (algorithm selection) in recommender systems, you are free to decide on your research topic.
- teaching: We are still in the process of designing our lectures here at the University of Siegen. You are welcome to contribute your ideas and offer lectures that align well with your research interests
- Competitive salary
- You will be hired on the TVL 13 or 14 scale, depending on experience. This means, your gross income will be between 50,700€ and 77,137€ pa. This leads to a net salary of approximately between 2,450€ and 3,500€ per month (more if you are married or have children).
- Health insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacation, paid parental leave, and pension contributions are included.
- An excellent research environment
- You will be able to work with at least 2 Ph.D. students
- We have plenty of funding for travel, equipment, paid student workers, and whatever else you may need. While you won’t have your own budget officially, you will have budget responsibility as such that you will support Joeran Beel in planning and deciding on how to spend a €1.25m research grant that the ISG Group recently received.
- Access to our University’s GPU cluster as well as our own small mini-cluster.
- Close supervision by Joeran Beel as well as support through our secretary and technical staff.
- An international network: Joeran Beel, lead of the Intelligent Systems Group, has a large international network due to, among others, his positions as Visiting Professor in Tokyo and Visiting Research Fellow at Trinity College Dublin. You would be welcome to visit these (or other) institutes for research cooperations, of course, fully funded.
- Generous Office Space
- Awesome view from the 8th floor
- 1 or 2 persons per office
- Large kitchen
- Well-equipped meeting room
- A great environment for living
- A nice city with everything you need (cinemas, theatres, shopping malls, parks, restaurants, clubs, a castle …) or your children may need (affordable child care, free schools, and free health care).
- Beautiful mountains and forests, perfect for hiking and mountain biking. And ski areas are just an hour’s drive away.
- Affordable rent
- Short distance (1 hour) to major cities like Cologne or Dusseldorf.
- Dual Career support
The official job advertisement will be posted soon. Meanwhile, feel free to contact us already for an informal chat. Let us know the following. If you are interested in a PhD position, fill out the details where appropriate.
- Your current employer/university:
- Current place of residence:
- a) Earliest b) Prefered c) Latest possible start date:
- Your experience in Machine Learning:
- Your experience in Recommender Systems and Information Retrieval:
- Your experience in AutoML, algorithm selection, optimization, meta-learning, and NAS:
- Your Work/Industry Experience:
- Any notable contributions to software projects e.g. on GitHub?
- Any noteworthy awards?
- Your Motivation / Why do you want to join our group?
- Your Google Scholar profile:
- Your Top-3 publications in the past 3 years (URLs to full text, please do not attach the publications):
- Your two most successful student supervisions (Bachelor/Master or Ph.D. students):
- Acquired Funding:
- Teaching Experience:
- Your research vision or project proposal (3-5 paragraphs):
- Your questions for us: